“Out-of-the-box winner”— that is exactly how Monark marketed its
motocross machines. The 21-horse-
power, six-speed, 54mm x 54mm Sachs
6B engine came with a Motoplat transistorized ignition and a 27mm Bing
carb. A chromoly frame, Ceriani forks
and Girling shocks were just some of
the high-quality components used in
this fabulous machine.
Monark was known as Cykelfabriken
Monark AB until 1927 and Monark
Cresent Bolagen (MCB) after that.
Monark built its first motorcycle in
1908. In 1959, the company produced
a handful of 500cc four-stroke moto-
cross bikes and won the 1959 500cc
World Championship with Sten Lundin
in the saddle. Lundin’s victory was
both the highlight and the end of the
road for Monark. It ceased motorcycle
production in 1960.
Monark came back in 1970 to introduce its first 125cc motocrosser. The
initial USA importer of MCB was
Rockford Motors in Illinois. Later,
John Olson of Inter-Trends would take
over as the importer of Monark with
offices in Costa Mesa, California.
In 1972, the Monark 125MX was the
envy of every 125 rider. Monark had
its greatest success since 1959 when
1972 MONARK 125MX BY TOM WHITE