WHAT’S NEW ON THE 2016
1. 7.9-pound reduction in overall
weight (for a total weight of 227
2. All-new single-overhead-cam
engine design that is smaller,
lighter and more powerful.
3. New engine cases that
centralize the rotating mass of the
crankshaft and clutch.
4. Redesigned combustion
chamber geometry, ports,
camshafts, timing chain and
5. Forged bridged box CP piston,
6mm-shorter cylinder and shorter
connecting rod with 10 percent
more inertia from the crankshaft.
6. New 44mm Keihin direct-connect throttle body.
7. Electronic Launch Control and
multiple engine maps to control
8. New, lighter, five-speed
transmission that is 8mm narrower
and features a new surface
treatment on first and fifth gears,
along with a special low-friction
coating on the shift forks.
9. A lighter clutch basket,
reworked inner hub and new
pressure plate on the Damped
Diaphragm clutch (DDS).
10. One-pound lithium-ion
11. Optimized radiator design
for improved engine cooling.
12. All-new exhaust system with
integrated resonance chamber and
40mm-shorter muffler. New head
pipe and muffler for increased
13. All-new chromoly chassis is
20 percent stiffer torsionally and 30
percent more resilient
14. Smaller and lighter Polymide
plastic subframe and all-new
15. “No Dirt” footpeg design
with a scraper to reduce dirt
build-up in the hinge area.
16. Rubber-mounted Neken
handlebars and ODI lock-on grips.
17. Galfer Wave rotors, CNC-machined hubs, D.I.D. rims and
Dunlop Geomax MX32 tires.
18. Larger airbox and totally
redesigned plug-in air filter.
19. Re-valved WP 4CS (Four
Chamber System) forks.
20. All-new WP shock, shock
linkage and valving. The new
linkage provides 10mm more
travel, even though the shock is
21. Totally redesigned bodywork, ergonomics, seat, gas tank,
graphics and side panels.