WHAT’S NEW ON THE 2016
1. Revised cylinder head. The engine
is tuned so that the torque curve
follows the limit of running resistance
for as long as possible. Cylinder is
offset ( 8.5mm forward), reducing friction
and enabling more efficient power
2. Revised intake valves and intake
cam timing are combined with new
curved intake ports with slimmer
throat angles. The intake cam timing is
advanced 2 degrees for better low-rpm
3. Piston crown design matches the
revised intake valves and maintains the
compression ratio at 12.8:1, contributing
to the engine’s increased performance.
4. A new resonance chamber increases
the exhaust pipe’s effective length and
reduces exhaust noise volume by
approximately 2 decibels.
5. Excess material was trimmed from
the transmission to reduce weight by
approximately 9 ounces.
6. Kawasaki’s new fuel-injection
calibration kit enables riders to adjust
engine characteristics to suit their
preferences. This simple tool can be
used without a PC by plugging
into the engine’s ECU. There are seven
preset engine maps included.
7. All-new aluminum perimeter frame
is 6mm slimmer and 14 ounces lighter.
Previously an extruded part, the redesigned
downtube is now a combination forged/
cast piece (front part is forged, rear part is
cast). The new piece, along with a revised
head pipe and brace tubes, contributes to
improved front-end feel.
8. The radiator orientation has been
turned inward to allow for a slimmer
shroud design for improved ergonomics.
9. Flatter seat and tank to facilitate
riding position changes. The top of the fuel
tank is lower, allowing an even flatter
progression from the seat to the tank.
10. Intake ducts added below the rear
of the seat contribute to improved throttle
11. Weighing in at 239 pounds, the
new KX450F is over 7 pounds lighter. The
savings from the engine group (including
airbox and exhaust system) amounted to 4. 4
pounds, while savings from chassis
components totaled 3 pounds.
12. New bodywork is complemented by
black alumite rims, black fork guards and
green highlights. ❏